Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fearless Egyptians and Tunisians set the bar for - "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"



I apologize for the interruption in the series on The Gambia.  I've just been so engrossed in what is going on in Egypt (thanks to Al Jazeera English)!  I've been following, with so much PRIDE (and more than a little envy and sadness, I must admit!), this movement of fearless, committed people who have united - as a people - to seek a better country in which to live.

Aside from the, "...punks are running wild in the street" (cuz we know to whom that refers), "I don't want you to protest and I don't want you to riot" - he's spot-on, even though nobody here is listening.  I read a post somewhere asking if what happened in Egypt would ever happen here in these United States.  The answer is an emphatic - No! - at least for my people anyway.  We have been cowed by the terrorism of the White Supremacist Capitalist Patriarchy to such a point, that we're afraid of our own shadows.  And if we're not afraid, we've either struck back in the most unproductive of ways, OR, have been so busy being ashamed, and/or assimilating away everything we could - that defined us as a people since slavery and Jim Crow - that no one here need worry about their "darkies" raising up at all. 

And just to make sure, we were supplied the biggest damned pacifier I've ever seen - the selection of the Changeling (Great Pretender that he is).  It ensures that most of us will keep ignoring the fact that those who are most unemployed, most incarcerated, most brutalized by police, most foreclosed upon, most uneducated, etc., etc., etc, (and there are many) - ARE US! {smdh}

I just heard on NPR that Wael Ghonim (his Mama should be real proud!) - the 30-year-old Google Inc. marketing manager who left his well-paid job and went back to his country after having been one of the key organizers of the online campaign that sparked the first protests on January 25 - has tweeted:  "Mission Accomplished."  It is my hope that the protesters don't accept Mubarak's vice president, Omar Suleiman as an acceptable replacement, given his ties to Israel and it's protectorate, the U.S. - with its CIA extraordinary rendition program and all.  Just sayin'.

We'll just have to wait and see.  Until then, I lift a glass of Port to the Egyptians in Tahrir Square and say, "Well done!  I hope the wave continues!"

P.S.  While Mubarak has been an obvious, self-enriching opportunist for 30 years - I can't help but give him a little credit for giving the finger to the "outsiders" (y'all know who he's talking about!) who're trying to tell him what he should do - when they're just as bad as he is (and he knows it)!  That shit was hilarious!!!

Update:  Hosni Mubarak resigns as president

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...