Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ruminating on Trayvon, racism, American imperialism - and a funny...

Mexico CityI'm with Field on this one:  Miami Heat, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade don hoodies for Trayvon Martin.  It immediately reminded me of two other athletes standing up for something on a much larger scale (IMHO, the comment thread on the Heat story shows that - like the reasons for all of these athletes making a statement - the more things change, the more they stay the same).

A meaningful development - ABC News Reports Trayvon Martin Dialed 911 Prior to Being Shot?  The caption on photo #64 at this link reads:  "Attorney Benjamin Crump holds cellphone records and a police report as he speaks with the media about his clients' son, 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Crump says the teenager's cellphone records contradict the account of what happened between George Zimmerman and Martin in the moments before he was fatally shot by Zimmerman." (emphasis mine) The cellphone records could surely clear up a lot, No?

Over on one of Abagond's recent posts, "Grada Kilomba on racism in Europe" (if you've never checked out this blog, I so recommend you do) - commenter, Pan Africano left a link to a discussion on an Australian TV program entitled, "I'm not a Racist, But...".   Quite a peek into racism "Down Under" (makes me think about how the fear of us "Others," directly correlates to all of that occupying-cum-oppression by alabaster hands).

I saw this on RT awhile ago and added it to my "link hoard," mainly because, the endurance of my people never ceases to amaze me, and, because as a Black woman in America, I am constantly reminded of how seemingly completely, our umbilical cord to Africa was severed by the slave trade - unlike Christine, the mother in the video who, though assimilating into Russian culture, has proudly maintained her African culture through songs remembered, meals prepared and keeping her native language alive:



(I studied Russian a long time ago and, thoroughly enjoying the ability to be conversant in such a difficult language, I did very well.  I barely remember it now though.  It's true what the proverbial, "they" say - If you don't use it, you lose it!).

Speaking of Abagond - an astute tumbler update on Kony 2012:  KONY 2012’s funders: JP Morgan, Chase Bank and Exxon Mobil.

On a lighter note, this sure gave me a much-needed chuckle today - Police want bucks back from I-270 cash grabReally??  Come on now, what are the chances of that happening?!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...