Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Julian Assange Show...

Think what you want - I am more than pleased, to see/hear a news program, that is literally, far and away from the pablum fed to us on a daily basis from our alleged Fourth Estate.  Let's face it, we can hardly call ourselves - "global" - if we don't know jack-shit about what's going on,  in the globe!

Here's an example of the WikiLeaks founder's new show on RT (Episode 4).  I promise you, we'll certainly never get to see anything like this in our MSM:



On my trips to West Africa, I was amazed at CNN's coverage of us (Yes, CNN!).  My favorite show was "Black Voices," a weekly, Sunday installment about our Black brothers and sisters in the diaspora who were "doing the damned thing," in Africa, and elsewhere - their way!  It was there that I learned about an IT, African brother in DC, who was refurbishing donated computers and providing them to village children in Ghana with the help of his employer. It so excited me, I sent him this email on January 15, 2012 from the hotel (as I said somewhere before - I save everything!):

Mr. O----,
My name is Deb--- C------ and I am a Black American living in Texas, currently on my third trip to The Gambia.  I just wanted to touch bases with you to say that I watched CNN’s “African Voices” this morning and I was blown away that what you have been doing for some time, is exactly what I had been trying to figure out how to do on this trip (I don’t know why I’d not seen this on CNN in America before, or why I’d not heard of your absolutely wonderful endeavor!  Wait a minute, that’s a lie. I have my own ideas why I haven’t – but I digress.

I don’t believe in coincidences. I believe I was meant to see that show this morning.

I will be here for another two weeks gathering information. Thanks to you, I have a better focus. When I get back home, if you don’t mind, I would like to talk to you further about the hows and whys of doing something like your program in The Gambia. I’m no computer wonk, but I’m certain I can find one to help me out - there’s a (business name withheld) right around the corner from my house!
I am so proud of you and what you are doing! Your philosophy of an effort not having to be “BIG” truly inspires…

Sincerely,
Deb
He never responded.  To date, I've refurbished one laptop at my expense, and mailed it to a wonderfully ambitious young man who's going to University for nursing.  He helped my pack-a-day smokin', COPD sufferin' ass through a very bad cold while I was there.  I know he'll appreciate my keeping my word.  I know I sure do.

My point in sharing is not about me.  It's about the fact that there's so much we don't know about the world around us.  I think Julian Assange and his new show  (despite the fact that it's on RT, as critics have so vociferously pointed out ) can help us learn wa-a-y more than our MSM can -  or is willing to  - teach us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...