Friday, March 9, 2012

Ugandan blogger's eloquent response to "Invisible Children Kony 2012"

"When the missionaries came to Africa, they had the Bible and we had the land.  They said, 'Let us pray.'  We closed our eyes.  When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land."
Jomo Kenyatta
Now I've never been to Uganda, and I won't sit here and tell you that I know any more about it than those Americans who have.  But I have been to Africa - a few times.  And based solely on what little I have learned, the absolute prescience of Jomo Kenyatta's quote (often attributed to Bishop Desmond TuTu), still holds true! - particularly in light of the "Invisible Children Kony 2012" video that has gone viral (I refuse to directly link to it, but you can watch it via the Alternet link in the next paragraph).

Why would I think that?  Because I personally know someone, whose parents sent her to the late, Jerry Falwell's,  Liberty University (home of alleged "Christian" aims) - and Bruce Wilson's, "Invisible Children Kony 2012" Leader Suggests It's About Jesus and Evangelizing" clearly bears the little I do know out.
"Earlier in the discussion, Jason Russell had stated his goal of "ending genocide" and capturing Joseph Kony, but that goal seemed framed within the larger project of evangelizing the nations."
Refreshing though, is Ugandan blogger, Rosebell Kagumire's response to the "Kony 2012" video (to which I will link here).  Please, try to listen with an open, non-missionary-influenced, uncolonized mind (I know it's hard, but I know you can do it!):



This beautiful, young sister knows way more about her country than I do, but more importantly - she also seems to know plenty enough about ours.  As I said in my previous post:  "We've got so much work to do family - in alliance with, or without, any-damned-body else!"



The US power grab in Africa By Pepe Escobar

Interesting update I:  "White House congratulates Kony video makers"

Interesting update IIa: 'Kony 2012' filmmaker detained in San Diego

Interesting update IIb:  Jason Russell THE NAKED MELTDOWN Caught on Tape (I suggest you watch this one on TMZ, cuz the one on Youtube carries a viewer discretion warning - and it should!)

Thoughtful update I:  The White Savior Industrial Complex

Ridiculous update I:  Kony 2012: Part II Released With Much Less Fanfare

1 comment:

DebC said...

Thanks for reading.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...