Friday, October 11, 2013

"American Promise" -- a documentary

Family, since I'm always about full disclosure -- I got the email below a little bit ago and dithered about the request because:
  1. I'm always a little leery about other folk telling me how wonderful something is in representing my lived experiences and 
  2. I don't run ads on my blog for a reason -- everything's not for sale:
Hi Deb,

I just came across your blog and I wanted to reach out and let you know about American Promise, the Sundance Grand Jury prize winning documentary following the journeys of two African-American boys and their families from kindergarten through high school graduation. The film provides a rare look into Black middle class life while exploring the common hopes and hurdles of parents navigating their children’s educational journeys.

"the film is revelatory as an embedded report from the front lines of parenting."
-Film Comment

"American Promise is more than a documentary; it is part of a bigger, ongoing movement about changing perceptions of-and behavior and values with respect to-young African-American males in our society." - Documentary Magazine

I thought the film would be of great interest and conversation for your community. Would you be able to share the below information with your community?

We also have an online day of action on October 15. We are hoping to use this build a HUGE social media buzz about Black Male Achievement and supporting young black boys. Please support us by donating your organization and your personal accounts to our Thunderclap here:  http://thndr.it/16jxiwX mark your calendars for our twitter chat at 3 pm. Thanks!

If you would like to view an online screener of the film, please let me know.

Best,
Darcy
I decided I'd go ahead and post it with the caveat that I'd reserve my comments for after I'd seen it. Here's the descriptive snippet I was asked to post on the blog:
An opportunity to take part in conversations and actions on how we can better serve black boys!

Check out, American Promise, a documentary 13 years in the making, following the journeys of two African-American boys and their families from kindergarten through high school graduation. The film provides a rare look into Black middle class life while exploring the common hopes and hurdles of parents navigating their children’s educational journeys. Releasing in theaters starting October 18. Watch the trailer below. To learn more or find out where it is playing in your city visit http://on.fb.me/17lBHAZ or email info@americanpromise.org 



As promised, I will reserve my comments for after I've seen it -- but I can tell you right now, just from the trailer, I'll have quite a few! Please come back and let's talk.

Related:
‘An Education in Equality’ (please do watch the embedded video here!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...